To enjoy all that the St. Louis region has to offer, you may want to travel beyond the Washington University in St. Louis campus. Because the university is centrally located, there are a variety of transportation options available to members of the WashU community.
Driving in Missouri can be expensive due to car maintenance, gasoline prices and insurance costs. Therefore, we suggest transportation options other than driving in your own car.
To find transportation options on and off campus please visit the Parking & Transportation Services website.
Driving in St. Louis
Although used automobiles may be purchased inexpensively in the U.S., there are many factors that international individuals should consider before acquiring a vehicle.
- There is a high cost to vehicle maintenance.
- You must be at least 18 years of age and pass all necessary requirements to qualify for a full Missouri driver’s license.
- Those 15-17 can qualify for a limited license. See the Missouri graduated driver license law page for more information.
- Drivers are required to purchase and maintain at all times adequate automobile insurance; the cost of this insurance can be high.
- License plates must be purchased for vehicles and renewed yearly or every other year. There are associated fees.