Admissions Process

We are pleased that you are considering study at Washington University in St. Louis. Here, you will find a welcoming and diverse community.

Admissions Process Overview

  1. Complete the student application appropriate for your course of study. Both graduate and undergraduate admission information is available on the central WashU website. If you are looking to study only in the summer, visit the International Summer Study website.
  2. If you receive an offer of admission to WashU, OISS will receive information about you from your admitting department that will be used to create the appropriate immigration form for you. Please note that you will need to provide financial certification to your admitting department before an immigration form can be issued. The Declaration and Certification of Finances Form is required as part of this process.
  3. OISS will process your information and issue the appropriate immigration form (either an I-20 or DS-2019). That form will be sent to you by your admitting department.
    Note that all graduate students must complete the New Graduate Student Status Form to ensure necessary immigration procedures, including a change of status or status transfer, can be completed appropriately. Questions concerning these procedures should be directed to Martha Turner.

    Undergraduate students who are currently in the U.S. and will transfer to WashU should complete the Undergraduate Transfer Form (PDF). Questions concerning this procedure should be directed to Kathy Steiner-Lang.

  4. You will need to apply for a visa at a United States consulate.
  5. OISS will provide information that will assist you in arriving on campus and adjusting to life in St. Louis.

Changing Status

Someone who has been admitted to WashU but who is not in F 1 status may be eligible to apply for a change of status to F 1 after an I 20 has been issued. Those who are in B-1, B-2 status are not eligible to study until a change of status is approved by the DHS. An F-2 may enroll in courses on a part-time basis and even pursue a degree program. However, an F-2 who wishes to study full-time will need to obtain the F-1 status before enrolling full-time. There are certain statuses that are not eligible to change status. Individuals who have been admitted to an academic program are advised to contact Kathy Steiner-Lang if an undergraduate student and Martha Turner if a graduate student.

Introducing the I-20 and DS-2019

The document I-20 (for prospective F-1s) or DS-2019 (for prospective J-1s) serves as proof that you have been admitted to an academic program at Washington University. The issuance of the I-20 or DS-2019 by itself does not guarantee that you will be granted an F-1 or J-1 entry visa (if you are now outside the U.S.) or that you have acquired F-1 or J-1 status.

Please be aware that you may not engage in studies in the U.S. until you have done one of the following:

  1. Entered the U.S. with an I-20 or DS-2019 and an F-1 or J-1 entry visa
  2. Changed your status to F-1 or J-1 within the U.S.
  3. Transferred your F-1 or J-1 status to Washington University from another U.S. educational institution