Employment & Training

International students are highly restricted and limited as to their work options.
It is vitally important that a student have work authorization before working.

The status specific resource pages provide comparisons of the types of employment for which F-1 and J-1 students may be eligible, depending on each student’s individual circumstances. Always consult an international student advisor at the Office for International Students and Scholars before accepting any job offer or starting employment.

Status Specific Rules and Regulations

F-1 Students
J-1 Students

Social Security Numbers

If working anywhere in the U.S. or receiving any sort of U.S. funds, you are required to have a social security number. See our page on Social Security Numbers for information on the application process.