Student Health Care & Insurance

Student Health Services on the campus of Washington University in St. Louis provides care for the evaluation and treatment of an illness or injury, preventative health care and health education.

Health Insurance

The cost of medical treatment and hospitalization in the U.S. is extremely high. Washington University thus has a mandatory health insurance program. Students are automatically billed for the fee of this insurance. Your enrollment into the insurance is also automatic upon completing your registration for the first semester of each academic year. Coverage runs from August 1 to January 11, and January 12 to July 31. Spouses and dependents are strongly urged to purchase major medical insurance due to the high cost of medical treatment.

A full description of the health care coverage is outlined by Washington University’s Habif Health & Wellness Center (Student Health Services) on its website.

The health insurance policy at Washington University does not cover the cost of eye examinations, eyeglasses or dental work. These services are expensive in the U.S.; therefore, you are advised to have this work completed prior to leaving your country.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Health Insurance Requirement

J-1 Exchange Visitor Program regulations require that J-1 Exchange Visitors (both student and scholar) and their J-2 dependents carry health insurance meeting specific minimum standards (Code of Federal Regulations – 22 CFR 62.14). Failure to maintain required insurance coverage can result in termination of J status. Exchange visitors who are not eligible for Washington University benefits must obtain minimum insurance coverage before coming to the United States. Because health care expenses in the United States can be costly, coverage in the amounts listed below may not be sufficient to cover all expenses for medical care, and higher levels of coverage may be considered. More information is available on the Maintaining J-1 Student Status page.

Types of Health Care Providers

  • For basic care, call a doctor’s office to schedule an appointment. There may be a wait for new patients. You should bring your translated medical records with you.
  • Urgent care facilities have extended hours and are best utilized for minor illnesses or injuries, or when you can’t wait for an appointment at the doctor’s office.
  • For emergencies, call 911 or go to a hospital’s emergency room.

Health History Form and Immunizations

New students are required by Student Health and Services (SHS) to complete online forms, including:

  • Medical/health history
  • Immunizations
  • Meningitis information

All health history, immunization and meningitis information must be submitted via the Student Health Services Student Portal using your WUSTLKey login information. This information does not need to be completed by a doctor.

Required vaccinations include measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). You should also have a tuberculin skin test before coming to the U.S. Information about your immunizations must be submitted separately from the medical history form and meningitis information to SHS through the SHS Student Portal.