On this page

Employment authorization

International students and scholars need to know the rules about working, getting a stipend, or receiving other payments in the U.S. Most types of work, whether paid or unpaid, need approval before starting. Please read the information below and talk to your OISS adviser if you have any questions before beginning any activity that might be considered work. Starting work without the right approval is considered to be a violation of your immigration status. OISS is here to help you understand the work authorization process and make sure you know when you can start and stop working.

Payments to non-U.S. citizens

The resources below are intended for any foreign national newly employed by or receiving a stipend from WashU. A foreign national is a person who is not a citizen or a permanent resident of the U.S.

FNIS Instructions

Must be completed by those who will receive a paycheck or a stipend from WashU.

Understanding your U.S. tax obligations

U.S. tax filing is a legal requirement. International students, employees, scholars and all dependents who were physically present in the U.S. for each tax year (January 1 – December 31) must file at least one tax form, even if no U.S. source income was earned.

WashU purchases a license for Sprintax, a tax software program for F-1 & J-1 students and scholars considered non-resident aliens (NRAs) for tax filing purposes. Sprintax guides qualifying NRAs through the entire tax preparation process, help arrange necessary documents, and check for tax refunds or owed amounts.

Read on to learn more about social security numbers, ITIN, filing taxes in the U.S. and tax documents generated by WashU for foreign nationals receiving funding from WashU. Additionally, OISS offers tax workshops for international students and scholars in the spring semester.